Thursday, March 3, 2011

Kindness Thursday: Write To Your Sponsor Child

We've been sponsoring kids through Christian Children's Fund (Now called ChildFund International) since 1995.

I did it initially because it was a way for me to sort of adopt a girl, since I had all boys.

But now that I have a daughter she has gotten involved as well.

The way the program works is that you sponsor a child until they reach a certain age and then they assign you a new young child. You can request a girl or a boy.

Our latest sponsored child just happens to have a birthday almost identical to our six year old daughter's, so we helped our daughter (who is adopted from Russia) write a letter to our sponsored child (Margret).

She wrote: You Are My African Sister and I Am Your Russian Sister. I live in Seoul, South Korea and will be moving to America soon. You live in Africa. We have the same birthday. I love you.

This is part of the reply I received from her father (keep in mind that there is no requirement on their part to reply at all):

Special warm and welcoming greetings to you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. How are you and your family?

Margret was excited to hear that she has got a friend through the sponsorship programme. This is such a great blessing to Margret and us parents plus the whole family at large...

With joy and happiness, I take the privilege to welcome you to our family and we are committed to this relationship...

And a subsequent letter...

Greetings to you in Jesus name. I hope you and your family are doing well. We are also doing well including your sponsored child Margret who is fine and happy for the love that you have for her and the entire family...

Attached is our family photograph (a photo of six barefoot children standing in the dirt, all the girls wear dresses, the mom is pregnant and stands next to the proud father)...

Our family depends on subsistence farming for both our subsistence and to sell...

Thank you very much for the love that you have to our family. We always pray for you... Love, The father of Margret

When I look at these happy, smiling faces of this loving family and think of how little they have I am better able to put into perspective my own life blessings and try to remember every day to be grateful for whatever life offers me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...