Thursday, March 10, 2011

See The Good In A Bad Situation

We have had a series of unfortunate events lately related to time and money.

Where do I start?

We made some sure-fire investments in relation to our taxes that failed to pan out resulting in our paying the maximum amount of taxes (thousands of dollars more than we expected).

We lost $1,000 in non-refundable fees to a vacation that my husband's employer refused to let him go on. Not to mention the time lost in planning and arranging for the trip.

In trying to rearrange our plans we lost more money on other travel arrangement fiascoes.

Our plans to move this summer have been altered by my husband's employer, causing us all sorts of scheduling problems and inconveniences.

All of these things could make one feel that they are being singled out or picked on, but the reality is in the perspective.

We pay taxes because we make enough money to be taxed. When we didn't make enough money we never paid taxes, we always got refunds. I remember how happy we were one year when we received a $1,000 tax refund and took our family to Disneyland. Now that we have more money, we feel cheated by taxes, rather than feeling blessed by our abundance.

We have enough money and freedom to go on vacations. Even though we can't go on the one we planned, we will go on more in the future. Many people never dream of taking vacations.

If you ever feel the government is cheating you, just compare it with the North Korean government. Who is really being cheated? You or the North Koreans?

And maybe my husband's employer is strict, but he has a job....a secure job and many, many people do not.

Honestly, we feel losses, but life is not a game of monopoly. It is not about who dies with the most money. It is about living your life. And my life has not changed even though we have had these bumps in the road.

I have my family, my health. We have good food every day. We aren't having to scrape by or watch our kids starve or have our rights taken away. We have choices and freedom.

Sometimes it takes some focus to set our minds on the true reality instead of getting caught up in a pity party because we are so spoiled. Its like when I see my 6-year-old daughter having a tantrum on the floor because she wants 10 pieces of candy and she only got 8.

Accepting reality just as it is, when there is nothing you can do about it is a great blessing.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace... 

--Reinhold Niebuhr

1 comments:

Crystal Escobar said...

I love that post!!! Very inspirational!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...