By checking off this list of items I find myself buoyed up and feeling like myself again.
Making a custom resolution chart from this list, may be just the accountability needed to increase your happiness.
1. De-clutter, organize and clean your house.
2. Vigorous exercise (run, aerobics, power or vinyasa yoga, etc.) Get your heart racing.
3. Gentle exercise (stretch, Tai Chi or gentle yoga).
4. Take a bath or shower. Wash your hair.
5. Do your hair and make-up (for women), clean/ fresh clothes.
6. Eat something nutritious and filling (something warm in winter and cool in summer). Drink water. Take a multi-vitamin.
7. Make friends. Connect with friends or family members in person (not online or on the phone). Work out any conflicts. Friends can get us through anything. Let go of expectations from others. Find any excuse to get together for fun activities, lunches, dinners and parties. Plan stuff or be spontaneous. Be creative.
8. Get a massage.
9. Watch an inspiring movie or documentary.
10. Read an inspiring book.
11. Write. Write down your troubles than write down or think about a better perspective of looking at them. Let go of things that can't be fixed (like other people's behavior). Minimize things that really don't matter. Brainstorm ways to change present circumstances. Write down your plan.
12. Get outside in nature for a 10 minute walk. Feel connected to everything. Feel the energy and beauty in all living things. Breathe it in.
13. Discipline thoughts to be clear and free of negativity, think positive thoughts or quiet/still the mind and breathe. Be in the present. Negative thoughts are bullies- don't let them invade. Rewrite your internal dialogue.
14. Pray to God for a change of heart/ peaceful heart, feel the calming energy uplift and fill you. Connect to the source.
15. List your freedoms and blessings. Everyone has something to be grateful for. Express gratitude and appreciation to people and to God. What would you miss if you lost everything? Read some books about those who have lost everything: freedom, health, money, their child's health, food, self-respect, family, friends and see your life through their eyes.
16. Engage in absorbing activities. Explore creativity, expression (digital creation, photography, video, pottery, inventing, studying, playing an instrument, writing, painting, dancing, gardening, looking at the stars, creating a program or organization or website, landscaping, sewing, etc., limitless possibilities).
17. If its a dark day, turn on all the lights in the room you are in. Open the windows if its not too cold (use CFLs and light therapy if needed).
18. Don't judge yourself or anyone else. Let go of any toxic emotions (hate, greed, jealousy, fear, anger). Negative emotions are poison. Release. Forgive. Positive emotions heal.
19. Do something to serve others (give 10% to charity, give a massage, read a story, listen, contribute to humanity, take care of the earth, smile and look at others in the eye). After you realize that you have so much, think of ways to give back.
20. Listen to inspiring music. Whatever inspires you.
21. Discipline the self to right actions and gentle words. Be true to your conscience. Be truthful.
22. Start going to bed earlier and rising early. Get 8 hrs. of sleep.
10PM-6AM or 11PM-7AM or 12PM-8AM
23. Be positive/optimistic. Try to look on the bright side. Enjoy turning negative thoughts/experiences into positive feelings and clear thoughts.
24. Adjust the temperature or put on or take off a sweater or socks to feel comfortable.
25. Don't regret any decisions. Make the best of current circumstances. Be passionate about that task. Continue to make new choices.
26. Act crazy. Because why not? Express excitement for something mundane or ordinary. Try something new. Make up a dance, try a new food, go a different way, be adventurous.
27. Stand up straight. Be self-confident. Believe in the new you.
28. Realize that severe inconveniences, bad luck, hardship, loss, injustice and trouble have come to trillions of people over the years. You aren't being picked on or singled out. Turn your anger into determination to right action. Take the high road. Don't fight back. The negativity stops with you - don't spread it around. Instead, spread love.
29. Take slow, deep breaths to give extra oxygen to the brain. Relax all of the muscles in the body. Especially your face and neck and shoulders.
30. If someone says something critical or controlling, have a comeback with a smile, not a victim, whiny, angry comeback. If you really don't want to do something, don't do it. Just say no. Do less. Don't worry about other people's approval as long as you approve of yourself.
Other things to try:
Bring nature indoors with house plants, fish or other pet(s)
Move to a happy city (in America, in the world)
Hang around happy people
Take pride in your work
Be light-hearted around your kids.
Join any group, try a faith/spiritual/religious group
Live closer to family
Shed materialism (forget keeping up with the Joneses)
Keep a journal
Try a month of extreme niceness to your spouse
Have a TV show to look forward to
Use a day-planner to get organized
Live by people who make roughly the same amount of money as you
Eat happy food
Join a support group or talk with a therapist
Listen to a motivational speaker
Watch this short clip (Let the movie load all the way before viewing)
Astronomy Picture of the Day
Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer.
Matthew Harding on Vimeo.
Explanation: What are these humans doing? Dancing. Many humans on Earth exhibit periods of happiness, and one method of displaying happiness is dancing. Happiness and dancing transcend political boundaries and occur in practically every human society. Above, Matt Harding traveled through many nations on Earth, started dancing, and filmed the result. The video is perhaps a dramatic example that humans from all over planet Earth feel a common bond as part of a single species. Happiness is frequently contagious -- few people are able to watch the above video without smiling.