Monday, October 18, 2010

9 Things To Do To Live A Healthier, Happier, Longer Life

The Longevity Prescription: The 8 Proven Keys to a Long, Healthy LifeSo now that I've laid out some ideas for healthy and good living....

how am I doing?

Did I start my day with prayer and spritual reading? No. Why? Because I felt like I didn't have time. I do have time, but maybe I wanted to try to cheat the system and do other things first. I just started surfing the web this morning and reading interesting articles and wasting time while my house is a mess and I need to exercise.

I was sitting at the dentist office yesterday flipping through a magazine and it gave things to do to live a happier, healthier, longer life (1)daily take a multivitamin, 600 mil calcium, 200 mil magnesium, 600 mil DHA/omega-3, 1,000 iu vit D (2) laugh often (3) eat lots of different colored veggies (3) walk with a friend for 30 min a day (4) eat fewer calories per day (5) floss (6) have safe sex often (7) volunteer outside (8) sleep 7-8 hrs. per night (8) simplify and declutter (9) do tasks first, don't leave your list of tasks undone while you play. This causes stress.

This last one is the thing that I have a problem with. I don't do the hard stuff first. I put it off so I can do things I really want to do. The question is- do I really need to do the hard stuff first?

Sometimes, if I put off exercising until the hour just before I pick up the kids from school it seems to work out fine, but putting things off like this doesn't always work. If I put off cleaning my house it increases the chance of stress when someone comes over unexpectedly. When I don't hang up all the clothes right away they get wrinkled and end up getting dumped all over the floor because I'm looking for an outfit that is at the bottom of the laundry pile. Plus it takes twice as long to find the outfit.

If I don't pray and read something inspirational in the morning it never happens. If I do it first thing, the whole day goes better because I feel peaceful and centered. If I don't organize my time things fall apart.

I do think its OK if things fall apart once in a while. Like (for women) the day your period starts, or the day after you stayed up all night with a sick child or took your friend to the airport at 4AM (me today). And I'm tired. And when someone comes over and sees my messy house then Oh well. If they don't want to be my friend because of that one day, then were they ever my friend?

Still, I think it is true that a long undone task list can be stressful. So I am going to make a list of what needs to be done today and get working on it. I'll make it fun by adding music and a good attitude. I won't stress if I don't get everything done. There is always tomorrow.

Hopefully, I have simplified my life enough and gotten rid of most of the unecessary baggage that grabbed for my time so that I can choose to do what I think is important. My time is mine and I'm not working on other people's agendas. This is one of the most important keys to happiness. Sometimes it's your own kids that run your day and you are running their agenda. This is why I say- don't have more kids than you can handle or afford and get help. For those who feel like their boss is in charge of their life, I say look for a different job or take a pay cut and set out on your own. Okay...lets get going...

Prayer, read
Clean
Write/Work
Exercise / shower
Pick up kids
Take kids to appointments
Read/Study
Make dinner
Go to a movie with spouse
Visit with girlfriends
Visit with family before bed
Go to bed at a reasonable hour

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...